Laos: Living with Elephants - 2 Day Mahout Experience - Luang Prabang Elephant Village
Living with Elephants, or Living like a Mahout, is a unique experience in Laos! The tour gives you the exceptional chance to live a short time with protected elephants near Luang Prabang. Experience a day in the life of an elephant mahout (elephant trainer) and learn about the elephants and their life in the project area. Take care of an elephant in the Elephant Village in Luang Prabang and stay overnight in the Elephant Lodge, the luxury "Zen Namkhan Resort" or the "Lao Spirit Resort". This wonderful tour includes elephant washing, elephant introduction and training, riding, feeding, and sharing time with elephants in Laos.
Travel No. 12737
You can find these and other travels under the following categories:
Experience the Life of a Mahout,
Living with Elephants in Laos
Two day Elephant interaction activity tour in Luang Prabang.
An internationally appraised experience with the Lao elephants.
Read an elephant tour review on nineMSN Magazin
Live the life of a Lao mahout, or elephant care taker, at the reknown "Elephant Village", the first local Elephant caring camp in Luang Prabang. Enjoy the company of Asian Elephants in the mystical Lao countryside just a short ride outside of Luang Prabang.
Learn how the mahouts in Laos live and work with the protected elephants in the natural setting of the Elephant Village.
It's a simple life close to elephants in the lush tropical nature of Laos. The day of a mahout is scheduled to fit the needs of the elephants and this tour offers you the unique chance to follow this natural rhythm. The Elephant Village is in a wonderful setting full of natural beauty, just outside of Luang Prabang.
You will experience bringing the elephants into the jungle to feed them, and learn how to clean and wash these massive animals.In this elephant interaction tour you will have the chance to ride on the elephant's neck and learn the mahout's methods of controlling the elephants.
A night spent close to nature and delicious local Lao food will prepare you for your second day.
An early start in the morning will bring you back to the elephants for a bath in the river. After breakfast prepare for your return or further activities, depending on your booking.
- Learn from your guide & mahouts
- Feed and wash a Lao elephant
- Learn about the elephant life
- Sleep in the Elephant Lodge, a simple jungle lodge
- Follow the Elephant trails in nature and the river
- Enjoy and relax at the Tad Sae Waterfall
- Visit a nearby village and meet the locals
- Guide the elephants into/out of the jungle
Enjoy a video about the Lao Elephants and Elephant Village
as well as ShangriLao Explorer Camp in Luang Prabang
'Living with Elephants' Mahout Experience Includes:
- Private transfers from/to project area
- Boat transfers on Nam Khan river
- Entrance fees for project
- All meals and drinking water on your tour
- Overnight in DBL or TWN Room in the Elephant Lodge (Standard)
- English speaking guide/supervisor
- Interaction with our Lao Mahouts & Elephants
- Tad Sae Waterfall visit (waterfall dry during February - July)
- Elephant riding in the Elephant Village and river area
- Instructions about the Elephants and work as a Mahout
- Learning some training and controlling skills with the Elephants
- Elephant Village Park Project contribution payments
Elephant program does not include:
- alcoholic and soft drinks
Requirements for this Elephant interaction program:
- Minimum age of 18 years or with parents!
- A normal level of fitness
- Love for our Elephants
- Respect the Lao culture, be open-minded
- Flexibility and tolerance
- bring sun protection, swimming suit, towel and shoes that can get wet.
- bring long trousers to protect your legs
The following is an example itinerary
May change from tour to tour depending on the occupancy of the Elephant Village, number of persons in your group, weather and river conditions, and other unforeseen circumstances... remember working with animals is not always predicatable:
Mahout Experience Day 1 'Living with Elephants'
- 8:30am to 9:00am: Pick up by our English speaking guide at your hotel lobby
- Arrival at the Elephant Village Camp: Welcome and greeting by our camp manager and participate in short briefing about elephants
- Ride the Elephant: Enjoy the impressive experience of a 3 km elephant ride on the howdah (elephant seat) or on your elephant’s neck! 2 per elephant.
- Boat trip to the Tad Sae Waterfall: Take a traditional Lao long boat to the Tad Sae waterfall and relax, dip your feet or go for a swim in the clear, cool ponds
- Mahout Training: Receive your mahout training on how to control an elephant
- Lunch: Dine at our Elephant Camp restaurant. Buffet lunch served with coffee / tea and drinking water (vegetarian options available)
- Bring Your Elephant to the Jungle: Enjoy the unique experience of riding your elephant in the evening to her jungle hideaway where she gets to retire for the evening
- Dinner: Enjoy dinner at the Elephant Camp restaurant (set menu served with drinking water)
- Overnight: Enjoy a relaxing night at our Elephant Lodge with stunning views of the Nam Khan river
Mahout Experience Day 2 of the Elephant Experience
- Awake from your Slumber: You won’t believe how tranquil and beautiful the Lao jungle mornings are!
- Pick Up Your Own Elephant: In the morning, retrieve your elephant from her jungle hide away
- Bathe Your Elephant: Take your own elephant down to the Nam Khan river for an exhilarating bathing experience!
- Breakfast: Enjoy breakfast at our Elephant Camp restaurant (set menu with coffee / tea and drinking water)
- Depart: Transfer back to your Hotel in Luang Prabang between 10:00 am and 11:00 am
Your Tour Includes: round trip transfer, English speaking guide, elephant ride, basic mahout training, boat ride to the Tad Sae waterfall, waterfall entrance fee, lunch, dinner, 1 night accommodation in the Elephant Lodge, breakfast, bathing your elephant
INFORMATION ABOUT ACCOMMODATION FOR THIS TOUR: With this Elephant Interaction program, you may choose various overnight options. The standard package is with the Elephant Lodge. Upgrade options are available, just ask!
Pictures below are taken from the Elephant Lodge double room. The Elephant Lodge is simple jungle accommodation with only basic facilities, but there is a private bathroom in each room. The Elephant Lodge is located a 10 minute walk from the Elephant Village and is located on the Nam Khan river.
Deluxe sleeping room
Deluxe sleeping room
Elephant Lodge Luang Prabang
|Learning how to ride an Elephant||Falling in love with a baby...|
Contact us to create your personal elephant experience in Laos.
We will personalize your tour around Luang Prabang.