Laos | 3 day Elephant, Biking, Trekking, Kayaking Combo Tour | Luang Prabang Active Explorer
A fantastic Fair Trek combination tour with biking adventures, elephant interactions, home stays in remote villages, trekking, and kayaking. All in the beautiful mountains surrounding Luang Prabang. Discover all the beautiful nature and special cultures that Laos has to offer in this perfect mix of activity and relaxation. This adventure tour will be one of your highlight experiences in Laos.
Travel No. 12251
You can find these and other travels under the following categories:
Active Explorer Tour around Luang Prabang - Laos
Luang Prabang 3 day Adventure Tour Package
An Adventure Melting Pot!
Enjoy Mountain Biking, Elephant Interaction
Trekking and River Kayaking in the mountains around Luang Prabang on this action-packed 3 day adventure and community based tourism combination
A jam-packed, but moderately paced, three day adventure trip into nature to see beautiful sights and meet minority people around Luang Prabang.
You will start with an all-level mountain bike ride out of Luang Prabang.
You'll hike to small villages through jungle and forest settings and experience local Lao hospitality during your homestays.
You will visit the Elephant Village where you will ride an elephant in the Elephant Park Project area.
And finally, a beautiful and relaxing kayak tour on the Nam Khan river will bring you all the way back to Luang Prabang.
The tour is part of the 'Fair Trek' community based tourism project, and so every visitor helps to support the village communities.
Active Explorer Tour Short Summary
First day of this adventure:
- Hotel pick up in Luang Prabang, depart at 8:30
- Mountain bike tour to Ban Xiem Lom village
- Visit Ban Phanom weaving village
- Visit Henry Mouhot gravesite along the way
- Visit the Wat Pa Phon Phao (Buddhist monastery)
- Hike/Trek to a secluded Lao village
- Overnight homestay with a family in a local village
Second day of this adventure:
- Trekking with village interactions along the way
- Mountain trails, Hmong and Khamu village
- Lush jungle and scenic vistas
- Overnight in second village or optional in Zen Namkhan Lodge or LaoSpirit Resort
(with surcharge for Lodge or Resort overnight stay)
Third day of this adventure:
- Elephant interaction at Elephant Camp along the Nam Khan river
- Elephant ride on trail with a waterfall visit
- Swim, relax and enjoy being in nature
- Small river motorboat trip on the Nam Khan river
- Kayaking back to Luang Prabang
Active Explorer Tour Description
Day 1: Mountain bike tour to Elephant Camp & village visits
Begin your mountain bike tour from Luang Prabang with a short visit to the Wat Pa Phon Phao, a quiet monastery with a beautiful golden stupa. Next stop is in Ban Phanom, a well known cotton and silk hand-weaving village (Lao Lum). We continue our bike ride to the grave of Henri Mouhot, the famous French discoverer of the Angkor Ruins who died here in 1861.
Next we follow the running water of the Nam Khan to a dusty country road that takes us to the Elephant Camp where we will eat our lunch with a gorgeous view of the jungle and a towering limestone rock karst.
This break st the Elephant Village prepares us for the next leg of the journey - an easy hike along a single track, traversing rice paddy fields and terraced slopes toward the peaceful villages - all while becoming aquainted with the life of rural Lao Tung (Khamu) people. In the late afternoon we arrive in the rural village where we will eat dinner and overnight in our homestay.
Day 2: Full Day Trekking in Mountains outside Luange Prabang - Villages, Culture, Scenic Vistas
After breakfast, your adventure will continue with some more trekking. We will visit Khamu, Lao, and Hmong villages where you'll see and meet locals carrying out their daily life. Remember that foreigners remain a novelty to these isolated villages, and the villagers are as curious about you as you as visitors are about them.
In the late afternoon we will arrive at the Khamu village where we will experience our second overnight homestay.
- walking time about 5-6 hours in total -
Day 3: Elephant Interaction Experience - Kayaking on Nam Khan River back to Luang Prabang
After another wonderful breakfast, we will meet the protected Asian Elephants, and learn about these amazing massive animals. A 30 minute elephant ride on the back of elephants at the Elephant Village will take you into the countryside. You will hang out, have lunch, and enjoy the unique scenery of this great area of natural beauty.
In the afternoon you will begin the final highlight of this active tour - a kayaking excursion down the Nam Khan River. The river is easy to paddle and offers only a few grade 1-2 rapids.
The countryside on our kayaking trip is dense with banana and teak trees, rice paddies, and terraced pineapple plantations. Pass handfuls of isolated Lao Loum and Theung villages, and don´t be shy to practice your Lao by shouting out a sabaaidii at the smiling children playing on the riverbanks.
We will arrive in Luang Prabang by kayak sometime in the afternoon.
- paddling time between 3 and 4 hours, depending on current and starting point -
Included on this Luang Prabang adventure tour:
- Equipment (kayaks, dry bags, helmet, life jackets...)
- Overnight in village home stay, community payment, village fund
- Biking rental fees
- English speaking and licensed guides
- Additional helping guide(s) where/if needed
- Fresh food and drink (water, tea, coffee)
- Entrance fees, permissions, and village project contributions
- Elephant Trek - Elephant riding
- Lao Village Trekking
- Boat Transfers, as needed
- Kayaking activities on Nam Khan river
- Project contribution fees for "Fair Trek"
- Car Transfer back into town
Discounts possible for groups and low season - please ask
-- Please Note --
that changes in time and itinerary (trails, walking hours) may appear at any time according to unforeseen conditions. The Tad Sae waterfall is dry during the period of February and August. Tour requires normal fitness and can be adjusted according to personal request at time of booking.
|Private Tour: Prices available upon request, indicate group size|
01.09.2013 - 30.01.2015Sunday, 1. September 2013 - Friday, 30. January 2015
EBTK-3 Private tour with minivan
Join in tour, per person price if joining with set departure dat
01.06.2014 - 30.09.2015Sunday, 1. June 2014 - Wednesday, 30. September 2015
EBTK-3-join in, Per person price